Developing a lesson plan is the first step in the process of determining how you will incorporate digital media in your classroom. We recommend using Wiggins and McTighe’s (1998) Backward Design framework:
- Start by identifying a learning objective.
- Next, develop the assessments that you will use to determine whether your students have met the learning objective.
- Then, design the learning activities that will help your students achieve the objective.
When designing your digital media lesson plan, think about how you might incorporate media literacy. Since students consume massive amounts of media on a daily basis, it is essential that they learn how to critically examine the information, visuals, and ideas that are portrayed in the media. Here are a few links and resources to help you learn more about media literacy:
- Why Media Literacy is Not Just for Kids
- Social Media Literacy: The Five Key Concepts
- Media Literacy: Collaborating to Create Media-Savvy Young People
Button Text: Return to Mindset for Success
Button Text: Continue to Universal Design for Learning